For more than 30 years, our attorneys have been involved in the development and restructuring of electric markets in Texas. We provide counsel and guidance to wholesale and retail market participants in the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) and the Southwest Power Pool Electric Energy Network (SPP), as well as financial institutions.
Our attorneys have worked closely on the development of many of the legislative and regulatory policies that define the Texas electric industry today. We understand the legal and commercial issues associated with Texas electric markets and are experienced in providing effective solutions for navigating regulatory, political and market structures.
Over the years, our clients have included electric cooperatives, wholesale electricity buyers and sellers, a trade association and a mid-size municipal utility, as well as other participants in Texas power markets.
We represent these clients in business transactions, as well as regulatory permitting and administrative proceedings before the Public Utility Commission of Texas. We also provide legislative monitoring and advocacy, and when necessary, representation at civil trials and appeals.
Our experience includes:
- Financing, development and construction of generation and transmission facilities.
- Permitting of electric transmission facilities and routing of electric transmission lines.
- Developing and negotiating wholesale and retail power supply contracts.
- Assisting with the acquisition of fuel supplies.
- Developing operations and maintenance arrangements.
- Facilitating equipment purchase and sales transactions.
- Counseling on corporate governance.
- Providing due diligence in connection with the sale of electric assets.
- Monitoring state regulatory and legislative proceedings involving electric market structure.
- Handling retail service area disputes.
- Counseling on mergers, acquisitions and consolidations among electric cooperatives.